Random thoughts on art, technology, stuff, and occasionally Real Estate: Embedding A YouTube Video In Your Active Rain Blog Post

Embedding A YouTube Video In Your Active Rain Blog Post

Ardell DellaLoggia (one of my favorite people) posted this comment on my Friday Classics blog yesterday  "All I want for Christmas is...for CJ to give me the "Embedding YouTube into your Active Rain Post"...the "For Dummies" version. "

I know several Active Rain members have already covered this topic, but let me see if I can do some screen shots, and parse it down to "entry level" stuff.

This post will cover working with videos that are already on YouTube.  If anyone needs help getting their own personal video uploaded to YouTube, we can tackle that one a little later.

OK.  First go to http://www.youtube.com , and in the YouTube search box, type in a performer name, song title, or topic of interest:

Click Search, and YouTube will serve up a listing of all videos tagged with those search terms.  Choose one, and click on the video's title:

On the home page for the video you selected, look over in the right column.  Notice the "Embed" code?  Click right inside that dialogue box and the entire embed text will be selected.  Click Edit -> Copy.  Now that text is in your "clipboard",  and will stay there until you turn your computer off, or overwrite it by copying something else.

You can also paste the code into a text or word processing file for safe keeping.  Windows Notepad is handy for that sort of thing.

Now write your blog post in Active Rain, same as you always do.  At the end of the blog post, hit Enter a few times to insert some empty space.  (It's easier to do it now in the WYSIWYG editor than to add the space later in the HTML view).

In the Visibility section, click the drop down arrow and choose Draft.

Click Post Blog Entry.

As soon as Active Rain processes and redisplays the post, click Edit:

Click on the HTML tab:

Click Edit -> Paste to paste the embed code from Windows clipboard into the blog post.  Note I had to manually add some <p></p> tags to create some space.

I also tend to like my videos centered, so I typed in a <div align="center"> tag before the embed code, and and </div> tag at the end of the embed code.

Now click Post Blog Entry again:

Check to be sure everything looks the way you want it, then click Edit again, and change Visibility to Public or Members Only, and click Post Blog Entry one more time.

Cheryl Johnson // Bob Tayor Properties, Inc.

Bob Taylor Properties, is a progressive, independent, full service real estate brokerage located in Northeast Los Angeles. We have a small staff of experienced, veteran real estate agents who love what they do and work tirelessly for their clients.

We are experts at selling residential, multi-unit residential and commercial properties. We are highly experienced with residential and commercial leasing. We know the Los Angeles City Rent Stablization Ordinance.

We know and appreciate all types of Los Angeles architecture and design from Historic Homes to Ultra Modern Lofts.

We would love to help you buy or lease a home anywhere in the Greater Los Angeles area, or to sell or lease the home you already own.

Call us today at 323-257-1080.

* Starter Homes
* Historic Homes
* Dream Homes
* Investment Property
* Commercial Property
* Rentals
* Leases
* Short Sales
* Bank Owned

Our highly skilled and experienced staff serves all of Southern California and handles all types of property.

The Bob Taylor Properties Network of informative blogs and websites

Bob-Taylor.com Our original website

BobTaylorProperties.com Featuring a live MLS feed with lots of listings!

EclecticAngelino.com A headline newsfeed from around Northeast L.A.

WeMarketRealEstate.com Our intensive marketing strategies

RealEstateHomeBuyersGuide.com Information for home buyers

HomesForLeaseToday.com Live MLS feed of homes and apartments offered for lease

LALeasingService.com Our leasing services for property owners

Bob Taylor Properties, Inc.

323-257-1080
5526 North Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90042
DRE License # 01304057

Comment balloon 68 commentsCheryl Johnson • December 29 2007 09:30AM

Comments

Nice straight forward instructions as always....   One question I have always wondered about is allowing text to flow along side of the video similar to the use of right and left justified for photos.  Any Idea how that can be done?
Posted by No Longer Active (Real Estate) over 10 years ago
Chery - Nice explanation. I have seen this posted before (as you said) but you did a great job of making it look easy.
Posted by Ryan Martin, Bellingham Commercial RE Broker (Windermere Real Estate / Whatcom Inc.) over 10 years ago

Hi Cheryl, You are WAY advanced from me, but I'll get there and when I do, I'll be using your tutorials.  Thanks.

Posted by Kay Perry (Kay Perry, Broker) over 10 years ago

Dan:  This one took a few minutes ..... You do it with a "floatie"...

Place the video embed code at the top of the post.  In front of of the embed code insert:

<div style="margin: 10px; float: left;">  at the end of the embed code insert </div>

The whole thing will look like this:

<div style="margin: 10px; float: left;">
<object height="355" width="425"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGq1MRPDO6I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGq1MRPDO6I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="355" wmode="transparent" width="425"></embed></object></div>
<p>
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Mauris sed orci vel dolor tincidunt tincidunt. Aliquam pellentesque nisl non massa. Duis tincidunt. Quisque cursus, nibh a porta volutpat, purus sapien scelerisque enim, vitae adipiscing nisi turpis ut elit. Nullam pellentesque sagittis quam. Vestibulum consequat lacus at nisi. Sed ligula ligula, auctor vitae, faucibus eu, feugiat ac, dui. Nulla lectus. Donec fringilla elementum mi. Pellentesque eu justo. Nulla pellentesque justo sed ipsum. Integer porta fermentum felis. Phasellus quis est. Sed fringilla, nibh eu ornare mollis, tortor nisl vulputate elit, et blandit turpis pede eget nulla. <br>
</p>

I just learned that here:  http://michaelatmo.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-to-embed-you-tube-player-in-your.html

Here's the finished product http://activerain.com/blogsview/320329/Elvis-Presley-You-Ain

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) over 10 years ago

cool! thanks so much! now i just need to get a video up on youtube!

cheers,

cindy

Posted by Cindy Lin (Staged4more Home Staging & Designs // EcoJoe) over 10 years ago
Thanks CJ!  I'll be giving it a try shortly.  I've read other tutorials and have tried with no success.  Cross your fingers!
Posted by ARDELL DellaLoggia (Sound Realty) over 10 years ago

YES!!!  Thank You!

Posted by ARDELL DellaLoggia (Sound Realty) over 10 years ago

What's with all the Latin?

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Mauris sed orci vel dolor tincidunt tincidunt. Aliquam pellentesque nisl non massa. Duis tincidunt. Quisque cursus, nibh a porta volutpat, purus sapien scelerisque enim, vitae adipiscing nisi turpis ut elit. Nullam pellentesque sagittis quam. Vestibulum consequat lacus at nisi. Sed ligula ligula, auctor vitae, faucibus eu, feugiat ac, dui. Nulla lectus. Donec fringilla elementum mi. Pellentesque eu justo. Nulla pellentesque justo sed ipsum. Integer porta fermentum felis. Phasellus quis est. Sed fringilla, nibh eu ornare mollis, tortor nisl vulputate elit, et blandit turpis pede eget nulla"

Posted by ARDELL DellaLoggia (Sound Realty) over 10 years ago
Ardell -- "Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book."  From the Lorem Ipsum Generator here http://www.lipsum.com/

Hi!  I saw Ardell's post and did it: her eyou go - thank you so much!

Posted by Courtney Cooper, 206-850-8841 (Team Leader/ Investor for Brand New Keller Williams North Seattle Office) over 10 years ago

HI Cheryl,  This was tricky for me and you get so happy when you finally do it!  I'm going to have to try it again.  Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Posted by Laura Cerrano, Certified Feng Shui Expert, Speaker & Researcher (Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island) over 10 years ago
Thank you so much for the "Dummies Version". It is much simpler to understand and now apply. I'm going right now to give a try.
Posted by Cris Burlew, Broker ~ St Pete Beach FL Real Estate (Beach & Luxury Realty, Inc.) over 10 years ago
Cheryl, great hand holding. Great detail. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Posted by Frank Rubi, FrankRubiRealEstate.com (Frank Rubi Real Estate, LLC) over 10 years ago

Hi Cheryl - I found the link to this post on Ardell's.   Thanks for doing this 'dummies' version.  I have twice managed to get a video into a post, but can't remember how I did it after I've done it.  Now I can bookmark this post to reference.

Thanks again for sharing!
Ann

Posted by Ann Cummings, Portsmouth NH Real Estate Preferrable Agent (RE/MAX Shoreline - NH and Maine) over 10 years ago
This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for the detail to make it easy!!! I'm gonna have to try to give it a shot!
Posted by Joeann Fossland, Master Certified Coach to Motivated Agents (Advantage Solutions Group) over 10 years ago
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!  I bookmarked this one!
Posted by Christine Bohn, The Bohn Team, Gainesville FL (RE/MAX Professionals) over 10 years ago

Hi Cheryl - Great Dummy version, just what I needed.  I have a question.  Not knowing the rules for using YouTube content, should the box stating "this is not my content, but I have permission to repost it" be left unchecked as in your post?  Thanks

Posted by Gail MacMillan over 10 years ago
Gail:  I don't know the official Active Rain position.  I call tell you I don't check the box because I figure that while the video is somebody else's, any commentary I make ~about~ the video is all mine.  :-)

Cheryl,

That is awesome and thanks to you; I have posted my first blog with a video!!!  It worked exactly like you said.  Thank you again.

Posted by Ray Nellum, Fort Smith Real Estate (Envision Real Estate Group, LLC.) about 10 years ago
Ray -  You're welcome.
Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) about 10 years ago
Thanks for this.  I had been wondering how to do this and now I know.
Posted by Don Draughn - Mortgage Professional about 10 years ago
Cheryl,  I have looked and looked and tried to do this and without you I don't think I would have been able to do it.  Thank you sooo much!!!
Posted by asdf zcxv, Ann Arbor Area Real Estate (Keller Williams Realty) about 10 years ago
just posted a blog with a video, text to the right of video, all thanks to you, sure appreciate it.
Posted by Daniel Gates (Insure Consulting) about 10 years ago
Danile, You're Welcome.

Thanks for posting this. I now know how to ad the Youtube videos to my blog.

Sean Allen

Posted by Sean Allen, International Financing Solutions (International Financing Solutions ) about 10 years ago

Thank you Cheryl for taken the time to show me how to do this. Mike introduced me to you..... and now I have subscribe to your blogs... Thanks a million...

Posted by Donna Paul, Long Island Home Specialist,All About Real Estate (Keller Williams Realty Gold Coast) about 10 years ago
Donna,  You're welcome.  I'm way behind on getting my business end-of-year stuff out, so tutuorials have been on hold for a little while.  I'll be back on track soon, I hope.  :-)

I know you posted this over a year ago, but thanks...I just found it & was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!

Posted by Josh Perrington (Arkshire Financial) almost 10 years ago

You're welcome!

I'm beginning to notice people are searching and finding old posts on a regular basis.  That's great!

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) almost 10 years ago

this is great I will definately add to favorites to reference

Posted by Pedro almost 10 years ago

Hi Cheryl.  I also just found this post and to mimic JOsh in that it was EGG-ZACHARY what I was looking for.  BUT, do I also need to do the monthly mixpo to post from youtube directly or just when posting my OWN videos.  THanks for your help.  Kristin

Posted by Kristin Moran, San Antonio,TX - Real Estate - 210-313-7397 (Owner - RE/MAX Access - KristinMoran@Remax.net) over 9 years ago

Fab - I'm trying this out!

Posted by Jason & Amber Gardner, We're Committed to Your Success! (Hasson Company, Realtors) over 9 years ago

Fantastic post and simple eary-to-follow instructions. Now if I can just get easy instructions on getting video from my Flip Video directly to AR, I'll be happy. Thanks for sharing and warm greetings from Paradise.

Naples Florida Realtor Greg Gorman's Team Paradise Logo

Posted by Greg Gorman, Naples Florida Real Estate (John R Wood Properties) over 9 years ago
  • <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4lKtEY16O8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4lKtEY16O8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Posted by Teeh over 9 years ago

:) Don't forget to post video or embed code to housereel.com

Sidney

Posted by Sidney Anderson (HouseREEL.com) over 9 years ago

Cheryl, Thank you so much for this post, it was so simple to follow so I could do my first embedded video.  Happy New Year!

Posted by Mark Organek, On a journey to accomplish one huge goal. (And the United States of America) over 9 years ago

Yeah Yeah!  It worked for me although I couldn't figure out how to make the "centering" code work but that's for another day!  Thanks for the super simple instructions!

Posted by Becky Brand (Shorewest Realtors) about 9 years ago

Thanks Cheryl. This helped me  a lot but I had a problem with the <div align="center">. I did what you said and posted but the viewer always went to the left side and the code reverted back to  <div>.

Posted by Nelson Bermas, Your Lexington REALTOR® (EXIT Real Estate Consultants) about 9 years ago

Do you know if there are any requirements before you post a youtube video to comply with copyright laws? Thanks.

Posted by Monica Bourgeau, Business Coaching (New Phase Business Coaching) about 9 years ago

Hi Cheryl: Just found your post and this was a big help! I couldn't understand why different parts kept getting deleted but after I followed your step-by-step instructions it worked perfectly. Thank you for writing this!

Have a great day,

Anne Rains

Posted by The Rains Team, A higher standard in real estate (Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners) about 9 years ago

Cheryl,

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS! Just posted my first youtube on AR thanks to you!

Posted by Tom Ferry (Tom Ferry-yourcoach) about 9 years ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!

Posted by Cheryl Tittle, Home Buying and Selling in Lake County (R.E.I.T. Homes) almost 9 years ago

I was planning on just making virtual tours, but now I am thinking of monthly market updates and maybe news from Mortgage Brokers and/or Appraisers to help inform people in my market.

Thankx :)

Posted by Shane Persinger, Realtor/Broker, GRI (Bell Real Estate) almost 9 years ago

omg, thank you for this

Shane,

You're welcome.

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) almost 9 years ago

I am a visual person, so this post worked out great for me.  Thank You for taking the time to put this together for all the AR members.

Posted by Michelle Gibson, REALTOR (Hansen Real Estate Group Inc. ) almost 9 years ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Posted by Ron Tiller (Star Referral - Grand rapids MI) almost 9 years ago

I was trying to figure this out and couldn't get it, then I decided to do a search and you saved the day, thanks!

Posted by Jonathan Rivera (Real-TechGuy.com) over 8 years ago

Cherly thank you so much I have bookmarked this I tried several other a/r bloggers their directions NEVER COULD GET IT than Bam found yours wow you truly made is simple of us THANK YOU

... direct link you might appreciate.

Posted by Lynn911.com ~ Dallas Real Estate Agent Top Team (Dallas Houses for Rent Dallas Apartment Rentals Lynn911.com ) over 8 years ago

I hope you don't mind I authored a statement about how to's used you as an example:

08/30/2009 Active Rain ~ Helpful hints use special search for members .. HOW TO's ...

Thanks, Cheryl! I was able to follow this easily and post a RE/MAX Video on my blog today!
Posted by Cheryl Ritchie, Southern Maryland 301-980-7566 (RE/MAX Leading Edge www.GoldenResults.com) over 8 years ago

Thank you so much for this post.... you explained it very well.

Posted by Julie Chroust, NMLS# 249458, Senior Loan Officer (Julie Chroust, Bay Equity Home Loans, LLC) over 8 years ago

I am really glad so many people have found this post useful!

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) over 8 years ago

Yeah!!! It worked (minus the center part which I can live with-that code just isn't "sticking").

Thank you!

Posted by Cheryl Bower, Realtor, CRS, GRI, ABR, ePro (Zephyr Real Estate, San Francisco, CA) over 8 years ago

Thanks a lot. I embedded my first video about $8000 tax credit.

Posted by Haris Dedic, Glenview Real Estate - Chicago North Shore (RE/MAX Villager 847-878-2588) over 8 years ago

Yippee! Thanks for the blog post on embedding a video, Cheryl! :)

Leilani

Posted by Bob Souza (925) 513-3400 & Leilani Souza (916) 408-5500 Souza Realty - Real Estate Broker in Placer County, California, Homes & Land, Real Estate Investments and Rentals (Souza Realty - Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Loomis, Penryn, Newcastle, Lincoln, Auburn, Meadow Vista (Placer County, CA)) over 8 years ago

This is the best post I've seen on how to embed video on your blog... Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Myra Spano, Real Estate Broker (BHHS Towne Realty) over 8 years ago

Thanks for the step by step with visuals.

Posted by Nancy McNamee (Keller Williams Realty) over 8 years ago

Dear Cheryl,

Thanks for the great post on embeding video on blogs. I used this in the scavenger hunt today!

Betina

Posted by Betina Foreman, Realtor, C.N.E., with WJK REALTY (WJK Realty) over 8 years ago

oh my gosh, I can finally do it right! thank you!

Posted by Barb Fischer, San Diego and La Mesa Real Estate (Big Block Realty) over 8 years ago

Barb,

You are welcome.

Thank you so much!!!

Posted by Lynne Roe (LBR Design Home Staging) almost 8 years ago

I have done this several times and then when I go back to the  Wysywig view so I can add more content the darn thing disappears.  Any ideas how to keep that from happening.

Posted by Tina Yeates (Keller Williams Los Feliz) about 7 years ago

Tina,  I don't think there is a fix for that yet.  Once you shift to HTML to add the video, then you need to work in HTML to add anything else.

So either you need to put everything else you want in before you add the video, or just resign yourself to making subsequent edits in HTMl.  :-)

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) about 7 years ago

Thank you for the post.  Just started learning about the process of embedding.  Wish me luck!!

Posted by Jeremy & Stephanie Harley, San Antonio Real Estate (ERA Troy Realtors) almost 7 years ago

Thank you! I saw the embed button on youtube,and used a link that I could insert into the Word version. With html I can have the whole video frame show up - Yay!

Posted by Anna Tolstoy (Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage) almost 7 years ago

YAY Anna!!

Posted by Cheryl Johnson (Cheryl Johnson, Bob Taylor Properties, Inc., Los Angeles, CA) almost 7 years ago

Got stuck and needed it tonite for my post!  Thank you!  Kristine :)

Posted by Kim & Kristine Halverson, Realtors (www.LiveWorkSiliconBeach.com, Santa Monica Real Estate :) ) about 6 years ago

Participate